November 1, 2012

"Love Thy Neighbor (City Slickers)" - Season 03, Episode 03

- by Karen Haviley

So the Doc and Louisa try once again to have dinner at home. It’s rather awkward as they seem to each want to say something to the other. They don’t get the chance to break the ice before the new neighbors invite themselves in -- and in turn the Doc invites himself out.

The new neighbors are definitely different -- but not in a good Portwenn kinda-way. They don't believe in 'mainstream parenting' so their son, Sam, gets to be as irresponsible as he wants without consequences. 

Lucky for them, PC Penhale is suffering from what the Doc believes to be agoraphobia. So PC won’t be leaving the station house to hunt down Sam anytime soon.

Al’s still traveling the world (or wherever) so Pauline is filling some of her time by playing scratch-offs. She wins enough cash to consider purchasing a scooter. You can sense this is not going to end well.

Sweet, little ole Mrs. Averill has come to see the Doc about a few rashes she’s developed. It turns out to be eczema but her cough is even more disconcerting. Especially when she starts to cough up blood. After some tests it turns out to be TB which has spread to one of the new inhabitants of her old house.

Must be the lack of inoculations... or it COULD be the ceremony that the new neighbors were holding over the burning badger in their yard. One can never tell what causes these things.

Lofty city folk, burning badgers, funky green soup, more gambling, and TB... it's time to give thanks that you don't have neighbors like these - and to pray you never do!
Love Thy Neighbor... easier said than done! Enjoy!






If you'd like to comment on the podcast, please join us over on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/RockTheDocPodcast/


On mobile devices you may need to use this link: 
SOUNDCLOUD: https://soundcloud.com/rockthedocpodcast/sets
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/rock-the-doc-podcast/id1168213835?mt=2

8 comments:

  1. I don’t think cops are even allowed to carry firearms in the UK. PC Penhale is definitely not well equipped. The cops in LA are not only armed, but they are probably issued handcuffs by the case!

    If LindaG thinks the Doc was nice to Mrs. Averill, I would hate to see him being mean to someone!

    The doc was actually going to say something nice to Louisa but chickened out and ended up saying, “You look very…busy.” Karen mentioned that Doc seemed to be making Louisa nervous. Maybe that was because he was looking at her like a hound dog looks at a T-bone steak. It’s about time!

    Did you guys hear Terry Oakwood say, Mr. Averill “popped his clogs?” I know it means, “died,” but where in the world does that expression come from?

    I still think the Buddha means something. I think it is a handsome piece of art, regardless. I think they should produce some for Doc Martin souvenirs, but have the face of Doc Martin instead of Buddha. What do you think? I’d buy one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Jeff! We can always count on you to post something good!
    When in London this March, I saw the cops holding more then just a firearm in this hands. WAIT, that didnt come out like I ment it, but it was funny. They had machine guns. I think PC Penhale is the barney Fife from Mayberry except they wont give Penhale a gun.
    In LA they shoot and shoot some more then ask questions later.
    Doc was Joanzin for Louisa big time. He was possible going to get him some if it wasn't for those pesky neighbors. About time is right!
    I did hear "popped his clogs". love it!
    Karen and I have an list of items that Buffalo Pictures could market for the serious but no one will listen to us. That's one area I think they are missing the boat on, especially in the US!
    We hope maybe someday someone will listen from the show and contact us! Until then, We love our fans!
    Jeff, always fun to hear your comments and ideas!
    Best!
    LindaG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, at least Barney Fife got to carry a gun, but remember, they only let him have one bullet! I'm glad you mentioned the movie, Airplane, it's one of my favorites. I love the scene where the stewardess is telling the passengers something like, "The weather is turning bad and we're 400 miles off course." Now response. "We're almost out of fuel." Still no reaction. But when she says the galley is out of coffee all hell breaks loose! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff,
    Airplane is a classic and they LOVE it in the UK. I got to work with Jerry Zucker on Rat Race and I asked him about working on Airplane. He had some great stories as does everyone in the entertainment field. (I could write about 5 books with all the stuff I've seen and heard) I got to work with Leslie Nielsen as well before his passing. Great guy! I've been blessed to work with some of the best people in hollywood! Karen is on top of that list! and of course I'd love to add Martin clunes and everyone on Doc Martin to that list! For such a small island they have enormous talent! One gun, one bullet... sounds right! Thanks for posting and "we love our fans"
    Best!
    LindaG

    ReplyDelete
  5. MC makes an Airplane reference in on of the outtakes from series 1. The line 'Do you like gladiator movies' to Ross when he's unbuttoning his shirt and they were laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to put a link to my vid. The audio is very low so you have to crank up the sound.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFvkqPvOSNQ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Connie,
    Nice catch! Way to go! See I told you they love that movie. My cousin's husband knows every word in the film. thanks for posting!
    LindaG

    ReplyDelete
  8. You talked about the Buddha in this one. I have a link I may post for you. I need to ask permission first. No, it isn't a miraculous explanation. Sorry. We've talked and talked about the Buddha statues over at the DM Digital Spy Forum (and they were talking about it years ago before I had even discovered DM). So I may have a link for you. Can one post links here or will I need to go to facebook or an email?

    ReplyDelete