September 27, 2012

"Erotomania" - Season 02, Episode 08

- by Karen Haviley

Erotomania:
also known as de Clérambault's syndrome after the French psychiatrist Gaëtan Gatian de Clérambault

definition (Wikipedia):  a type of delusion in which the affected person believes that another person, usually a stranger, high-status or famous person, is in love with him or her.


Wow. It finally happens. The Doc and Louisa clear out the obstacles (read: Danny), let the wine flow and tell all. He finally tells her how he feels in the most genuine and succinct way he can. As Louisa is about to jump over the table to get to him after hearing his true confession (who wouldn’t?!), the heavens open, angels sing, a bright light shines down around them and... he passes out. (Damn, those writers are good!)

Speaking of not quite getting there... PC Mark decides he needs to have some Life Insurance when he gets married, so he needs a complete physical. And it’s a good thing because he’s feeling over the moon about Julie’s news -- until he finds out the results of his lab work. Julie has been telling stories. Lots and lots of them.

Mrs. Tishell turns a corner by finally removing her emotional crutch (a.k.a. her neck brace), only to find out she actually does need it.

Thankfully, we get to see Auntie Joan again because there's no one better to give the Doc a push to get his head out of his... well, you get the idea... and go after Louisa.

But we’re reminded of the reality of our dear Doc at the end, when he lovingly looks at Louisa as she’s telling him she loves him... and informs her that she may in fact be suffering from, you guessed it <sigh>, Erotomania

Old habits die hard at the end of Season 2.

So have a listen and raise a glass for... Erotomania...









Photo credit: KCET.org

TRIVIA QUESTION: What's the name of the woman (character's name) the Doc sees at the end of the show that asks him if he's been drinking? 
Hint: She was in a previous episode!


If you'd like to comment on the podcast, please join us over on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/RockTheDocPodcast/



On mobile devices you may need to use this link: 
SOUNDCLOUD: https://soundcloud.com/rockthedocpodcast/sets
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/rock-the-doc-podcast/id1168213835?mt=2

7 comments:

  1. Mark going off on the Doc after he got the news that he was shooting blanks is a classic case of “shooting the messenger.” Psychiatrists would probably say the news was so upsetting that he “transferred” his anger and frustration onto the doc.

    You guys are pretty sharp, so here‘s one for you. When Aunt Joan is urging Martin to “make his move” on Louisa before it’s too late and she marries Danny, did you catch the kid humming the wedding march as the class made their way up the stairs? That was a nice touch and you can hear Louisa saying, “Thank you, Jack.”

    I listen to your show from beautiful downtown Calhoun, KY (right!) I first caught Doc Martin on Kentucky Educational Television. (KET) If you like any of my comments and want to use them, and/or my name, please do. I would be proud, as I enjoy your discussions.
    It’s a tough one, but I think the answer to the trivia question is Mrs. Braithwaite. Isn’t she the one who mentioned the doc’s “wine breath” In Erotomania?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, PC Mylow transferred a lot back on the Doc. Its such a small town that everyone knows you problems. I can't imagine saying anything like that to my GP.
    Yes, we did hear the kid humming the wedding march. and YES, Thank you. we are very sharp. We try to comment on as much as we can. I can get very technical and see a lot in TV and films because I worked in the industry for 20+ years. This show is different for me. I truly enjoy just watching it. Yes, I see things but for the most part I really enjoy the acting and everything else.
    We will give you a "Shout out"! We love our listeners and we love Doc Martin.

    YOU ARE CORRECT! MRS. BRAITHWAITE! I think we all know where that name comes from! She is the one that mentions his" Wine Breath"! Thanks for playing along! She was also in Season 1 "Sh*t happens" as Mrs. Braithwaite!

    Thanks for your comments! WE love DOC MARTIN and we LOVE our listeners!!!
    Mahalo
    LindaG

    ReplyDelete
  3. LindaG, since you have experience in show biz, I wonder if you've ever come across this technique. They use it often and I don't know why, but it works so well. Ever notice how they will have another character coming up in the background while a scene is going on? I've seen this with Joan making her way up the hill, with Melanie when she is bring Doc the cake and Louisa when she is afraid to ask the doc if the baby is OK. Is this a technique unique to British TV or have you seen it before? Thanks. I just love it. It's works so well. With the hills and all around Port Issac, it is probably easier to pull off there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff, One of the things I really like about Doc Martin the show is that it is shot and directed very well. I really think that the director Ben Bolt does not get enough credit for how he and the DP Chris Howard, BSC set up the shots. The scene you are referring to is used a lot in Doc Martin and it is part of their style. In US TV we tend to be more into close ups and cuts. One of my favorite use of the camera is when a character moves in a scene and the camera moves with them. Its hard to explain in writing. Its an over the shoulder move. They use a lot of what we all here in the US "dirty Overs". Thats where you get a shoulder or part of another character in the scene and then the complementing angle would be the a shoulder or head of the other character in the scene. I just love Ben Bolts directing. He's someone I'd like to have a pint with. He's deffently responsible for the look of the show and the feeling of the shots. KCET here in LA did a behind the scenes of Doc Martin that you can find on youtube. I suggest you watch them if you can. You will see just how much care Ben puts into the show and how he works with everyone. Let me just say that from a production aspect, Buffalo Pictures has gotten all the right people. they know what they are doing! I'd certainly like to be working with people who do good work with good people!
    You can find a list of my credits on IMBD.com
    I enjoy your questions and hoped that I have answered your questions.
    Mahalo
    LindaG

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would probably be the favorite episode of perhaps 80% of your listeners. Not only is it the most romantic, (Louisa looks stunning in that tabel scene) it is also one of the funniest. LindaG and Karen, in my best Doc Martin voice, I'd like to say that you two are, "delightfully irreverent." Keep on rollin.'

    Since neither one of you were wearing a vest, I couldn't tell who was who in your photo, but both of you are "easy on the peepers" as well. A wild guess would be LindaG on the left and Karen on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still catching up. Just listened to this one tonight. What an amazing episode, so full of, well, stuff. Since I still have lots of catching up to do, I'll be brief tonight. Maybe I'll post a little more tomorrow, but for now, all I can say is, POOR DOC. He's so clueless!

    Oh, and I've meant to ask this before. Has Karen been banished to the hallway or bathroom in the last few podcasts? She sounds far away. Let her back in! She's a good person; no danger in letting her in the room.

    Continuing my catch-up tomorrow. Going off to sleep with dogs now, like Martin, although hopefully not on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri!
      Thanks for commenting and for listening!
      These last two podcasts were longer than the others so we hope you enjoy them.

      Ha! Yes, I do sound a bit far away, but if you have an opportunity to listen with headphones it sounds *much* better. I'm not in LA recording these at the moment so it's over the internet which definitely changes our tech stuff.

      Let us know how you like the next episode, too. So much more to come!
      Have a great weekend, Sheri!
      Always good to hear from you.
      Karen

      Delete